Author Topic: Can you give us a basic timeline of when you wrote each story?  (Read 12358 times)

Offline Daen

• Administrator
  • We Don't Care
Can you give us a basic timeline of when you wrote each story?
« on: December 28, 2021, 04:48:02 AM »
Not precisely. I don't remember the exact date I started each one for example, but I can give you the order in which they happened:

The Last Fortress was first, written in college. I only included it as an example of how badly some novelists need to edit their work.

Then came Alliance, based in the Stargate universe, and it was much more polished and thought out. It also outstripped the normal length of a novel (70-110k words) by a fair margin.

After that came the motherload: Threads. I spent years tinkering on that one, and still do find minor issues in it from time to time. I was trying to emulate Robert Jordan a little, but with a slightly more condensed story.

Code was next, as my first real foray into original sci-fi. Given my feelings about human greed and corruption, it seemed important to write a story that provided a counterexample. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out how the codes interacted with each individual, and how they interacted with uncoded people.

Then modern fantasy, in the form of Fade. If ghosts were real, but not actually the spirits of dead people, what would they look like? How would they behave? If you don't have a body made of flesh and blood, what motivates you?

Most recently now is Retrospect which is done, but not yet ready to be put up for view. It's another modern sci-fi, but it's more of a prequel for what happens next. I have some ideas for the sequel, but nothing definite.

I'm also working on several other stories concurrently. When I get tired of one, I switch to another for a while, and so forth. The sequel to Threads, the sequel to Code, the original parts of a new trilogy I'm working on, etc, etc. I've got several pots on the back burner for now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:37:11 PM by Daen »