Author Topic: Can you tell us a bit about yourself and why you're a writer?  (Read 13198 times)

Offline Daen

• Administrator
  • We Don't Care
Can you tell us a bit about yourself and why you're a writer?
« on: December 28, 2021, 04:13:46 AM »
Sure thing. Broad-strokes version; I was born in North Dakota, and raised in West Africa as a missionary kid. I went to a boarding school out there, and then a Christian college back here in the States. That's when I started writing for fun.

I dropped out of college, but kept writing with more and more seriousness over the years. I was heavily influenced by authors I'd read while I was a kid, such as Richard Adams, CS Lewis, and JRR Tolkien. Later on, I took on sci-fi influences such as Tim Zahn, Margaret Weis, Aaron Allston, Michael Stackpole and Barbara Hambly. I read through the excessively long Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and even tried to emulate him a bit with Threads. Turns out they're making a live-action tv series based on his work now, and I'm not at all sure how he'd like some of the changes they've made to his characters.

Since way back in day, when mankind was huddled around fires and lived in caves or huts, storytelling has always been a great source of inspiration and joy to many people. The power a creator has to build a world and flesh it out for other people to experience is... intoxicating to me. I hope my work is interesting to you as well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:39:05 PM by Daen »