Writing > Alliance (Stargate SG-1)

Chapter 45

(1/1)

Daen:
After securing both of the prisoners, David checked on Nelson. Or rather, Alvesh did.

David was still in shock over Pierson’s apparent betrayal, and realized just how relieved he was, now that he could let someone else take the reins for a while.

In a few minutes, Nelson started to come around. Thankfully, a single shot from a zat gun was never fatal, but he would be in a lot of pain for a while. Alvesh retrieved some aspirin from the pack and sneaked a glance over at Tony while he handed them to Nelson.

The Colonel seemed normal, as he kept a watch on their prisoners, but they both could tell that it was a carefully controlled mask. Inside, the man must have been boiling over. He examined the zat gun and radio they’d taken from Pierson, before putting them aside.

"Sorry we were late, Tony." David finally took control again. "Thanks to Alvesh, I heard them coming before you did. We slipped outside and hid behind the ship, waiting for them."

"Lucky for us you did. I didn’t expect her to have backup. I guess we know who’s been protecting her, now." He gave Suna a featureless stare, but some of his emotions bled through into his voice. "Why did you come to Earth, Suna? Why are you working for the Lucian Alliance? And how did you get out of that mountain before the self-destruct went off? We searched the area- along with several dozen other planets- and found no trace of you!"

Suna shook her head sadly. "I’m sorry, Tony. I can’t tell you anything."

"You mean you won’t."

David put his hand on Tony’s shoulder, and herded both him and Nelson a few feet away. Reaching into his pack, he produced a featureless gray cylinder, about three inches in length. "This is one of the things I went offworld to get before we came out here, Tony." He whispered. "It’s got three doses… filled with nanites."

The mechanical replicators that had nearly wiped out the asgard had made a run on the Milky Way less than a year before. They’d done a lot of damage before finally being destroyed. The most advanced versions of those robots had been composed entirely of nanites, and their mere mention was enough to worry most SG people.

Sure enough, both of their features lit up with alarm, and he hastened to explain. "Relax. These aren’t like the replicator nanites. These can’t make more of themselves. They were designed by the Tok’ra as a humane and reliable way to interrogate prisoners. Unfortunately, by the time we were finally able to make some, the Goa’uld were gone and we had no prisoners to interrogate. Still, they should work fine on her."

"Are you sure they’re safe, though?" Nelson inquired, slowly massaging his temples. "What exactly do they do?"

"Alvesh could explain it better, but basically when I inject them, they cluster around certain areas in the brain and… sort of put you into a fugue state. It’s kind of like a waking dream. Once they’re in place, the person is nothing more than a repository of their own memories." He pulled out a rectangular readout pad. "I’ll use this to monitor her brain during questioning, to keep an eye on the nanites. When we’re done, or if they start doing something they shouldn’t, I’ll transmit a code that’ll shut them down, and her immune system will destroy them. It’s been rigorously tested by the Tok’ra, and it’s safe."

"Tested on people with symbiotes, though, right? Would it work on un-blended humans?"

David nodded. "They tested these little guys on all sorts. They worked in almost all cases, and never once harmed the person in question. Trust me, they’ll get the job done."

"Use them on Pierson first." Tony ordered coldly before Nelson could inquire further. "I get the feeling he’s higher up on the Alliance’s food chain than she is."

-.-

Suna watched them carefully as they injected Pierson with whatever that gray liquid was, and then waited a few minutes.

It was very strange to be so close to them after so long, and she wished she could ‘catch up’ with them, as they said. Still, she had a job to do, and responsibilities that were more important. She vaguely wondered if they would turn her over to their superiors, or just shoot her, if they learned the truth.

David, or rather the Tok’ra he’d become, peered over the pad in his hands, and his eyebrows furrowed. "Tony, he’s got a termination implant in his head!"

That got their attention. All three of them gathered around to look at the pad. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. From the shape, positioning, and energy signature, it’s one of Bokal’s."

"But Bokal removed all our implants before he went off on his own…" Nelson trailed off.

There was a brief pause.

"I guess Bokal’s involved in… whatever this is, too." Tony said quietly. "Will the implant be a problem for us?"

David’s hand danced over the pad as he input multiple commands. "I don’t think so. I’ve routed them around it, and there should be no change in his brain’s electrical activity, so I doubt we’ll set it off."

"Check Suna too, just in case."

David pulled out his scanner and pointed it at her, before shaking his head. "She’s clean."

"Ok, let’s get this over with, then."

At Tony’s nod, David leaned forward and gave Pierson another injection, to revive him this time. He slowly lolled his head and opened his eyes, which were unfocused.

"He’s ready."

Tony knelt next to Pierson. "Garrett, can you hear me?"

"Yes." The voice was in a monotone.

"How did you know we were here in Montana?"

"You used an access code while on board the Odyssey. I knew you would find what I’d hidden, so I came here to stop you."

Pierson hadn’t told her that. Suna had to work hard to hide her surprise, but she noticed that Tony seemed to expect that answer.

"Is Hargrove still alive?" He continued.

Tony’s face was calm, but Suna could hear something dangerous in his voice. He looked like a predator ready to pounce at the slightest twitch in his prey. She kept as still as possible, wondering what they’d given Pierson.

"Yes."

"Where is he?"

"I don’t know." As before, Pierson’s unfocused eyes stared straight ahead as he answered.

"He’s lying!" Nelson accused. "Who knows what kind of training he’s had? Maybe he can fool that thing!" He pointed at the pad in David’s hands.

David shook his head, and his voice deepened. [This technology is known only to the Tok’ra. It is unlikely he would be able to deceive it.] He tapped his finger on the pad. [Also, the creative portions of his brain are not active. Currently, he is physically incapable of lying.]

Tony looked back down. "How do I find Hargrove, Garrett? How do you keep in contact with him?"

"He’ll be at Plenios in about seventy-five hours. We keep in contact using somaradios."

That took Tony aback. He glanced at the others, and then down at Pierson’s radio. "Well, I guess we know the SV’s intact now. There’s no other way they’d have working somaradios. Where is the Soma Voco?" He continued intensely.

"On board his ship, in the power core."

"Why is he going to Plenios?" David cut in with a concerned look at Tony. "Plenios is a heavily populated Jaffa planet, a few hundred light-years from Dakara." He added for the benefit of the others.

"He’s going there to kill a Goa’uld queen."

This simple revelation, or simple to Suna at least, caused a stir among them.

"But the Goa’uld are all gone." Nelson said angrily, but there was a hint of uncertainty in his expression. "Aren’t they?"

[There are some of them still in hiding.] The Tok’ra spoke up again. [I did not know of any queen, but it makes sense.]

They both gave him puzzled looks, and he sighed. [As you know, there is now a drug which the Jaffa can use to survive without a symbiote. However, even though we can now mass-produce the drug, many Jaffa aren’t willing to give up their symbiotes, and the enhanced physical attributes that go with them. They must be using this queen to create more symbiotes for their population.] He glanced sharply down at Pierson. [Is that the case?]

"Yes."

"Ok," Tony spoke up, "but why does Hargove care? Why is he risking going up against the Jaffa to kill a Goa’uld? Especially one they’re probably keeping prisoner."

This had gone too far. Whatever they’d given Pierson would have him telling them everything, sooner or later. She had to do something. "They made a pact," she said suddenly, and they all looked at her in surprise.

"Explain." Tony said quietly.

She took a deep breath. She had to stall. He’d be coming home any minute now, and she had to buy him time to realize that something was wrong. "Years ago, just before we all first met, Hargrove and Pierson took a vow together. They swore to kill all the Goa’uld, everywhere, no matter the cost."

"That was… when the barriers first went up. Just after their two SG teams had been wiped out." Tony remembered aloud. He looked at Pierson. "Is this true?"

"Yes."

As they looked at each other, Suna could see a small light on the corner control panel flash on and off twice. Good.

She tried to keep her expression neutral, but the Tok’ra must have noticed something. He followed her gaze, and then hurriedly pulled a scanner from his pack.

"Tony, I just picked up a subspace transmission going out!" David said, moving the scanner around. "It came from the house!"

Tony growled. "You two, go. Find out what’s going on. I’ll keep an eye on them."

David hesitated, then handed the pad to Tony. "If any of that text turns red, press this button to shut the nanites down. He should be back to normal a few minutes later." Grabbing the zat, he followed Nelson out and up the ladder.

-.-

Sealing the door after they left, Tony knelt down next to the suddenly-cooperative Suna. Her expression was blank again, but he’d seen the emotion in her eyes when she’d spoken about Hargrove. Evidently, even after all this time, she still had strong feelings for him.

"So, let’s try to make some progress while it’s just the two of us, ok?" Tony said quietly. He was about to continue when he heard a voice coming from the floor nearby. It was Pierson’s radio- or somaradio, he supposed.

"Control, this is Aleph One. Come in."

The voice was distorted, but he could tell who it was all the same. Tony scooped up the radio to respond, but suddenly found he didn’t know what to say.

He sighed, glaring at Suna. "You know, two days ago, I had a good life. I had a good job, a daughter who loved me, co-workers and friends. I was absolutely certain that everything was fine." He gave a bitter laugh. "Today, I’m certain of nothing."

She looked a little embarrassed, but said nothing.

"Control, you’ve missed your check-in. Respond!" The somaradio continued.

Replacing the battery covering, Tony held it to his mouth for a second before responding. "Pierson’s not available right now, Hargrove. How about you chat with me, instead?"

There was a long pause.

When the voice returned, it was clearer, and tinged with amusement. "Well, well. I didn’t expect to hear your voice again. You sound well, Tony."

"So do you. For a dead guy."

"Yes, I’m sorry about that. It was necessary at the time." The voice cut out for a second. "So, what do we do now? Or is this just a social call?"

Tony grimaced. "It’s a little more than that. How about we talk in person? Where are you?"

"I can’t tell you that, of course. However, I am willing to answer some of your questions. I imagine you have quite a few."

"That’s an understatement. For example: Have you lost your mind?? Faking your death? Joining up with the Alliance, and getting Pierson and Suna to do the same? What were you thinking??"

A laugh echoed through the transmission, followed by a sigh. "I did what I had to, Tony. I don’t expect you to understand. If Suna’s there, she can fill you in."

"Oh, I’m getting quite an earful already from Pierson." Tony growled into the somaradio. "Don’t you worry, Hargrove. We’ll be seeing each other again, real soon."

"Yes, I was afraid of that…" There was a squeal of electronic noises through the transmission, followed by a subdued, "goodbye, old friend."

Tony looked around, confused, and saw all the text on David’s pad light up red, all at once. At the same time, Pierson made a sort of gurgling noise, and slumped over on the ground, bleeding from his eyes, nose and ears.

He rushed over, but Pierson had already stopped breathing. Tony thought back to Bokal’s initial description of the implants. They were very efficient: there was probably nothing left inside Pierson’s skull.

Suna glanced down at Pierson too, but still refused to say anything.

"Damn you, Hargrove!" Tony cried into the radio. "Is there nothing human left inside you??"

The voice was quieter this time. "Of course there is, Tony. Do you think I enjoyed that? Pierson and I have been friends for…" He trailed off. "I did what I had to, to preserve the mission. Pierson would understand that."

"And what? If I don’t back off, you’ll have Suna killed, too?"

"Of course not. You probably already know this, but Suna’s been out of action for several years now. She doesn’t know anything that could compromise me, thankfully for both of us." He sighed again. "I’m not a monster, Tony. I still value our friendship, and that’s why I’m going to give you some advice. For old times’ sake."

Tony could only stare incredulously as he continued. "Let this one go, Tony. The Alliance is too powerful to take on; I should know. If you try, they’ll kill you. Go back to your life, to your daughter, and leave us alone. If you do, I can guarantee the Alliance will do the same for you."

"You don’t really expect me to take that advice, do you?" Tony responded thickly. His voice was hoarse with anger.

"No, I don’t." Hargrove sounded sad. "Still, I can hope. Goodbye, Tony." A hissing noise emanated from the somaradio, and Tony had time to drop it before it cracked open, pouring smoke.

On reflex, Tony kicked it away. Apparently, Hargrove didn’t want anyone using it to tap in on his communications. It made sense, in Hargrove’s twisted way of thinking.

There was a rapping noise on the airlock door, and Tony stepped over to open it. Nelson was on the other side. "Boss…" he paused for a second. "We found the source of that transmission. Everything’s fine, but you’re gonna want to go upstairs for this." He gave a nervous glance inside, and spotted the wrecked somaradio and Pierson’s body. "What in the-"

"I’ll explain later." Tony cut him off. "Stay inside and keep a watch on her."

Nelson nodded curtly and moved past him. Tony spared a moment to be grateful for just how reliable his people were, and then began climbing up the ladder to the surface.

Up top, sitting in the house’s shade, were David and a young boy with wide, brown eyes and straight black hair. David looked up as Tony cautiously approached.

"Cayo, I want you to meet my friend Tony," he said casually. "Tony, this is Suna’s son."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version